Our clients oil and gas practice is composed of a team of professionals providing strategic advisory and capital raising services to the world’s leading natural resources companies. The group is aligned to serve clients globally in five specializations: Oil & Gas; Power & Alternative Energy; Metals & Mining; Chemicals; and Paper, Packaging and Building Products.
Summary of Position
Our clients coverage team is seeking an experienced investment banking professional for a Vice President position in either New York or Houston. The successful candidate will play a vital and accountable leadership role in all aspects of the transaction process and formation/pursuit of strategic business ideas. S/he will join a dynamic team and will have the opportunity to work with clients and senior management.
The Vice President will serve as the primary project leader and supervisor of Associates/Analysts on project teams. This individual is recognized by clients as a key member of the team and will take the lead on the execution and marketing of M&A and financing (Equity, High Yield, High Grade, SLF) mandates and will have direct client responsibility and interaction. S/he will leverage and coordinate resources on behalf of the client. In this capacity, one must understand industry fundamentals, anticipate client needs, and leverage J.P. Morgan’s and the team’s resources to anticipate new business opportunities. The balance between leveraging internal technical/product expertise and external relationship building is the essence of the position. Responsibilities will include but not be limited to the following:
- Develop a clear identity within NR and the Oil & Gas sub-sector in particular.
- Participate in substantial day-to-day client contact and client servicing.
- Begin to build long-term external relationships and manage accounts. This should include conducting new business presentations and developing new ideas for business at a relevant client level.
- Work independently, producing high quality work by totally leveraging and accessing the Firm.
- Continue to round out product and technical training for Associates.
- Understudy an Executive Director or Managing Director on certain accounts or transactions, depending on the size and complexity of the client or transaction.
- Demonstrate skills that will produce revenues for the Firm while gaining a broad understanding of how the Firm can derive revenues from each particular situation.
- Begin to develop a set of defined projects for new business development.
The successful candidate will possess the following:
- Bachelors’ degree from a reputable university; MBA is preferred.
- At least 4 years experience in Investment Banking post MBA, Oil & Gas sector experience highly preferred; private equity or similar field.
- Very strong financial modeling/valuation and analytical skills.
- Excellent technology skills with strong Excel (macros, pivot tables, look-ups and filtering) and PowerPoint skills. S/he will be able to quickly learn new software applications.
- Highly organized, detail oriented and proactive. Energetic and decisive, with a high level of integrity.
- Ability to multitask several projects
- S/he will be able to communicate concepts and ideas both verbally and via documentation, and be able to defend their validity.
- Excellent relationship-building skills and the ability to establish trust and credibility across JPMorgan.